Sunday, March 04, 2007

Updates on Sketches and Layouts







Hi gals,

Thank you so much for the feedback on my site. I am pretty happy with the way it has turned out so far and am working on fixing the stacking issue on the gallery page which seems to happen only when viewed on a smaller window but nevertheless isn't very appealing looking by any means. Gina, I included a Gallery page in addition to a Portfolio page so that if viewers just want to look at everything at once, like viewing a real portfolio, they can. I've heard some people don't like to have to look at thumbnails and open each one to see the full work. I guess maybe a solution would be to call the Gallery page "Thumbnails" so they know what to expect. Good point made though, thanks!
On another note here are some new layouts of my book dummy. I've focused here on making the mom look consistent in both illos. I don't know if you remember but she didn't look like the same person before, thus adjustments were made. I also straightened up Little Red and I hopfully got rid of her "Poltergeisty" turning head. Made the path more level too, before it looked like she was climbing up a hill! You be the judge. Happy Blogging!!

5 comments:

  1. Giselle, these are looking really good. I think mommy looks the same in both and I love Red's sweet face up close. I feel like there's something missing in the first one. There's an awful lot of empty space in the upper right corner. Sorry, but I have no suggestions as to what to do about it(at the moment, sigh). I can't wait to see these in color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Giselle,
    I agree with Lisa that mom looks the same in both pieces. Nice job! The first drawing of Red is very nice. Very soft and gentle. The second/third of red look kind of dark and "harder". I think the eyes on the second one still make her look a little spooky to me. Kind of Hollow. Does that make sense?
    Over all the composition of both pieces are very nice. Everything blends and moves nicely through each piece. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Giselle -
    These are coming along very nicely. I love the line quality of your drawings and the layout on the pages too.
    The mom looks great - love her hair and she seems consistant in both spreads. Although, the angle seems the same in both illustrations, but, maybe that's how you want it?
    I agree about Red's eyes in the images. They seem too dark compared to the rest of the drawing, which seems soft and light. This is perhaps why she looks so spooky? I'd either lighten up or down size her pupils a little more.
    Otherwise, these look beautiful. Have fun and enjoy the process! Chris p.s. thanks for all of those website tips - I'm going to try to post everyone's links on my site by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The line work on the top one is really beautiful and the expression on the girl is perfect. She looks like she is just about to say something. It if often hard to make these sort of scenes animated and you have done this perfectly.

    The girl waving does look like she is a bit in pain. But I think that is just the way the pencil has smudged. If I look at just the line work then I can see the face being dead on when it is painted in.

    picky thing to watch for when you color it in - the shadow under the girl might look more believable if it fades out some more on the edges.

    overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Giselle!
    You always have such a great handle on figures! That side view of mom is excellent, I always have such a tough time with that view! Technically, I think these are great. I do agree that that upper right corner above Red is a bit empty, perhaps something to let us know if they're inside or outside? And mom is definitely the same in both...but almost too much for me personally! Don't get me wrong, she looks great, but I'm a little confused why we're looking over her shoulder twice in one book. It's a great perspective but I think I'd choose one scene or the other, but that's just a personal preference. Technically, awesome, great layout, great figures, love 'em! :) -Gina

    ReplyDelete