Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hofstra University Children's Book Conference?













Hi ladies,


Thanks for your input on last week's pieces. In the first sketch I've rethought the gutter issue and decided to put the text at the bottom separately. Geez what was I thinking to consider slicing poor wolfy in half!! I could have integrated the text into the illo like you all suggested but I would have had to do a lot of redrawing that I didn't want to do to get it to really work, lazy I know. If you think it really looks boring then by all means let me know. I'm getting incredibly impatient with getting this book dummy out and thought this might be one piece I could cut a few corners with. Not sure though. Again let me know your thoughts on this. The painted piece you've all seen before and follows the sketch illo in the book. I've added some text this layout too, hopefully you can read it when you open it up in the larger version. No new artwork for this week, just laying out more of the book as seen. I'm still working on my stinky website, which won't be anything to scream about mind you and since I'm such a dufuss at this computer stuff it's taking me foreverrrrrrr, argh. Anyway hope to finish uploading everything and arranging it to the best of my ability for next week. Oh and I almost forgot, I hope to attend Hofstra Univ.'s children's book conference in April out on Long Island, NY and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it firsthand? It's cosponsored by Hofstra and SCBWI (http://www.hofstra.edu//ucce/childlitconf). They are going to have Brian Pinkney as the keynote speaker and an illustrator's picturebook workshop lead by Melanie Hope Greenberg. Sounds interesting so I think I'll attend. Thanks again for your critiques and support! Happy Blogging........

5 comments:

  1. Hi Giselle,
    I like Grandma's little face. " Oh no!" It's cute. Looks like things are really coming along here!
    Have fun at your conference. Make sure to let us know what you learn!
    Have fun!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,
    Thanks for the comment but I guess I should have explained, the little face on the sketched layout is of the granny's husband. His pictureframe is above her bed in another scene and changes expression with each appeareance throughout the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Giselle -
    These look great and I love the way you've layed them out. I like the text page with the little bw sketches/spots as well.
    I think the picture of grandpa is fine, but, is he anywhere in the story? Just a suggestion, you may want to use a picture/spot of grandma instead, as she's one of the main characters - it may confuse the young reader throwing grandpa in there if he's not anywhere else in the story. Or you can put a pic of grandpa on a desk next to grandma in another scene - that may help as well.
    Otherwise, I think it all works well. I remember the colored illustration with the wolf in grannies gown - I love that one!
    I haven't been to the Hofstra Conf. before, but, it always sounds like a good one. Good luck with that and enjoy working on the dummy - and on the computer. Oh yea, Mercury is in retrograde until March 7, so, try not to get too frustrated when loading new programs - that's one of the main things that Mercury likes to play with - computers, cars, communications, mail, contracts, anything important. But, it's a good time to sit back and take time getting things right and all good with the dummy. Don't rush it if you don't have too - the editors will know if it's been rushed, as they are wise and know all good things.
    Well, that's all for now - have fun and enjoy drawing! toodles, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Giselle!
    These do look really great, it's nice to see everything coming together, you must be really excited! I agree that we need to make sure that's grandpa somewhere else in the story but perhaps you've already taken care of that. And now that I see the two scenes together I do think that they fit well (as my concern before was they were too similar). Looks like you're in great shape!
    Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Hofstra conference firsthand but it is one I've been wanting to attend as well. However since we literally just got back from Long Island less than two days ago and will be going back down again in June when my book will be at the Book Expo in NYC, I don't think I'll be making the trip down inbetween this year to attend this conference. But make sure to tell us all about it and perhaps I'll be able to make it next year!

    Best of luck!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the text on the bottom! I don't think you lose anything making the sketch smaller because the expressions really come through.

    But I do feel that you should be consistent and keep the text outside of the pictures through the whole picture book like you have done here. It works better with the amount of text too. And this is more of a story book vs. picture book.

    ReplyDelete