Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Red Riding Hood off to Granny's






Hi everyone,
Seems like Sunday postings have been getting more difficult for all of us in the last couple of weeks. Busy as bees we are!!!!!!! Thank goodness right? Thanks for your suggestions on last weeks wolf illo. Am reworking that one and will post at a later date. For now I wanted to show something new. Anyway, here's another rough sketch from my book dummy. Red Riding Hood is leaving her house here with the basket full of goodies for her granny and saying bye to her mom. I know I'm missing the line between fingers 4 and 5 on the mom's hand. Somehow I erased it when I was cleaning this sketch up in photoshop! Didn 't notice until I posted here. Also I'm planning on incorporating the figure of the wolf within the forest ahead. Not the actual wolf like he would be painted in the story but his image within the foliage and hills as a presence. The viewer sees it but the characters are oblivious. The kind of thing where you don't necessarily see it right away but it is there. I hope I can pull it off. I've begun to sketch the wolf in roughly but will keep him in the background as much as possible so as not to steal too much away from the interaction between Red and her Mom. Let me know your thoughts!!!

6 comments:

  1. Giselle, this is great! I love how we're seeing Red through mom's face and hand. Genius. Working in a wolf face into the foliage is a terrific idea too. I'll bet kid's will spot it, but parents wont, at least not at first glance! Mom has such a fresh, young face...I love it! I think we need a few little whispy clouds, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah,..... I saw your 'tree wolf' right away and knew at once what you were doing...great idea and in this case it is going to work beautifully. Just that added little bit of genius that makes an illustrator an ILLUSTRATOR. The perspective here is also quite exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Giselle,
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the whole perspective of this one! I don't think I would change anything.
    I was one that missed the wolf at first glance, but Isee him now. Sneaky bugger.

    The mother's face is nice as well. Soft and friendly. These sketches have been a treat to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Giselle,
    This is wonderful. The perspective is very engaging. It is hard to see in the sketch but the girls' head may be twisted around a little too much. I would really have to see it painted because it is hard to see where the neck and the hair begin and start. But I am sure you are not going for a Poltergeist scene so just watch that when you paint it in. Otherwise- pefect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giselle -
    So far so good. I love mom's face and the angle as well.
    Red looks good, and I can see the wolf in the trees - very cool.
    Will there be text on this page?
    Can't wait to see it painted.
    Have fun. Chris
    p.s. my sorry excuse for not posting on Sundays lately has been due to my obsession to NFL Football & the Chicago Bears. Luckily, this Sunday's Superbowl game will be a night game, so I'll have lot's of time to post during the day - if we still have power from the Winter storm that's starting tonight. The snow is beautiful, but, the wind won't be. Keeping my fingers crossed - da Bears..after this weekend, all should go back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Giselle!
    I'm just late across the board this week so first let me appologize for finally sitting down to do this on Saturday night! I began all brand new classes at work this week so it's been a bit hectic in addition to my painting obsessions. So anyway, you are a master at profiles I must say! This is something I personally struggle with and your sketches are an inspiration to me! I like everything about this, even saw the wolf ;), the only thing I would do is straighten Red up just a bit. I feel like she might fall over. And I think Carlyn may be right about her head being turned just a wee bit too far. But minor adjustments, very nice work! -Gina

    ReplyDelete