Monday, January 08, 2007

New Sketch for Little Red Riding Hood Book Dummy




Hi gals,

Glad to see everyone is on here now without any glitches! Sorry I didn't get back to some of you that were having trouble getting your comments on here sooner. I wasn't able to get near my computer the entire weekend with so many family projects going on in my house! My apologies again.
Anyway, this scene takes place when the wolf is right outside Grandma's cottage. The bird you see is named "Snowy". She's Grandma's longtime pet dove that flies freely in and out of her cage as she pleases. She's obviously frantic because of who she sees outside the window! She toots and screeches with all her might but to no avail. Grandma ends up telling the wolf, who she thinks is Little Red, to come right in because she's too tired to get out of bed. Poor thing! Hopefully I'm conveying the idea through this illo. Let me know what you think.
I see lots of beautiful new illo's on here I'm looking forward to critiquing this week. Keep up the pace and the great artwork!! Happy blogging!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Giselle,
    I LOVE the birds expression. Definitely upset to see the wolf! The feeling of movement in the bird's wings are very nice as well! The wolf to me looks like he is thinking" Ya!" I am looking forward to seein this one in color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Giselle, this is a great perspective. I don't think you would have got the same sense of drama if you had zoomed out. And when this is colored in the glass of the window will really make an intereseting composition.

    The expression on the bird and fox is fabulous. When you paint it in you could also use the direction of the feathers and fur to create eyebrows on both. Eyebrows (i think) are what really give a face expression but it always tricky on how to get them on animals without looking cartoony. I feel that if you pulled the darker fur above the fox's eye downward then he would look more angry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Giselle -
    I think this illustration will work just perfectly. You definetly get the feel of danger from both the wolf's eyes and the doves.
    Can't wait to see it finished. Good work! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Giselle!
    I agree, you've definitely gotten your message across here, a nice added touch to the story we all know and love! And I think it's great that you've added your own unique elements, I'm sure publishers will really enjoy that! The only thing that I would say is what Carlyn mentioned and that is to add a bit of an "eyebrow" especially to wolfy. More of a slap of skin/fur, really coming down across his eye to give him more of a "wa-ha-ha, I'm going to eat your granny and there's nothing you can do about it" look. But really great overall. It will be wonderful in color with all of those great textures I know you'll add! :) -Gina

    ReplyDelete