Monday, March 20, 2006

Started painting yea!!




Hi everyone! I'm finally getting some color down on this one. If you can't make out the white blobs the one above the hunter's head is his hat flying off and the one under his belly is Grandma's bonnet. I will be painting many more layers of color on the washed out sections and the doorway will be a small garden scene with some trees in the distant hopefully creating some depth. Grandma's jamies and bonnet will have their tiny flowers on them at some point like in the pencil sketch. I also ended up making this composition longer and showing more of the wolf than I originally had planned. At first it was going to be a double spread but for whatever the reasons I decided showing more of the wolf's stance would be more interesting than showing more of the huntsman's lower body in that direction. Anyway your thoughts on any of it are always greatly appreciated!!

7 comments:

  1. I think you are amazing! I know that it will take a while to get Grammies jammies looking like a fashion statement, but I saw in your sketch that you had plans. I like the way this is coming along, you've so much action. I wonder if the wolf would have more of a snarl because his mouth is all snarly, but his nose isn't wrinkled. What do you think?
    Maybe that will be sorted out in the painting. Once again I think the hunter's face is amazing. He really looks focused on the moment. I also like the way his cap and pipe are off in all directions as he pounces on Mr. Bad Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes, you are right on about the nose not being snarled enough! Thanks for pointing that out couldn't figure out what was wrong there. Thanks for the compliment Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Giselle -
    What a fun painting - I love the hunter's expression - and I agree about the wolf's nose - but, I'm sure you'll work on that more as you go.
    Is this painting part of a double spread or a full page illustration? I have a hard time determining where the hunter is coming from - is he jumping through the air to grab the wolf?
    Other than that, I really like whats going on in this painting - and I remember the drawing being really awesome - so I'm sure this will be too. Good luck and go girl! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris!
    Working on that snarl as we "blog". Yes the hunter is leaping through the air to pounce on him. It was going to be a double spread but decided to keep it single. From the feedback I've been getting I will probably end up doing a double spread because I guess I have to clarify where he's coming from! Back to work. Thanks thanks for your input it's invaluable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I think a double spread would work best - it'd be good to clarify the hunter's position a bit. the expressions and your painting technique look great. I quite like the dramatic shape of the open doorway, and it might be good to keep whatever you do there very subtle and toned down so it doesn't detract from the wol's head. This is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sarah. I'll definitely keep in mind what you mentioned about keeping the doorway scene subtle. Very important to keep the focus on the characters. Looking forward to finishing this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great so far. The colors looks nice - I can't wait to see a more finished version, it's gonna be super!

    ReplyDelete