Sunday, February 12, 2006

Giselle's Intro!



Hi again everyone! I guess eventhough I've corresponded with everyone via email a couple of times already and feel like I've gotten to know you all somewhat it's nice to do a little intro and share some of my background with you. I know so far from the intros posted I feel lucky to have found such an interesting and talented group of artists to share all my thoughts, dilemas and uncertainties about the industry along with just fun stuff too. I've been married to my wonderful civil engineer husband, Thomas, for 18 years now . We are like night and day for the most part but have managed to survive the bumbs along the way and keep very busy raising our 4 children. Tommy 16, Caitlin 14, Evan 5 and Graig 3. I can't say enough wonderful things about them. Yes they devour most of my spare time but without them I couldn't imagine life. They are a great source of inspiration and good HONEST critics. I actually don't ask them what they think about a piece I might be working on when I'm having a "down" day! We live in a modest very comfortable house in the suburbs, in a very pretty, small town called Stony Point, about an hour's drive north of Manhattan. A place I soon hope to be taking my portfolio around to different publishing houses. Hopefully in the early fall! I work in a space in my house I share with my two little ones a lot. The so called "playroom/mom's studio". I do most of my intense work early in the morning when everyone is either at work or school and the little one Graig sleeps in. I can work quite a bit with them playing nearby and just have gotten very used to the interruption calls for juice or snacks you name it. It has truly made me appreciate every spare moment I have alone to the millionth degree!

Anyway on another note, I can still remember the first art teacher I had in grammer school like it was yesterday. "Mr. Peterson" he was fantastic. A gentle giant that loved to share the wonderful things he knew about art with his students and encourage our individual expressions. The smell of those huge jugs of paint and the easles lined up with big brushes and large sheets of crisp white paper just waiting for us to use doesn't escape my memory! It was of course my favorite place to be in school always. I eventually graduated from Parsons School of Design in NYC with a degree in Fine Art. After graduating I worked doing small freelance jobs here and there and eventually started up my own art studio in my home where I taught drawing and painting to kids 7 to 18. I loved it and it was very convenient once I started having my own children. I did that for many years. After having my fourth child my once classroom I had turned into the playroom/studio. Hence I stopped teaching and started focusing on illustration. So here I am. For the last year and a half I've focused on getting a website up and putting together a strong portfolio, along with trying to market myself in hopes of someday breaking into this business!! Enough about me. As usual I could go on forever. Happy Illustrating!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi there Giselle, Your story is so interesting and makes me think that Yes, we all do have a great deal in common. The most frequent comment seems to be that we are all somewhere in the same space as far as our illustration careers go.

    You have managed to get a group together here that can be good for all of us, and for that ...THANK YOU!

    Do take your artwork into the city and visit the pubishing houses. You are in the best place to do that. Some publishing houses used to have open Wednesdays, when anyone could just walk in and be seen. I know I did that a few times when my kids were little. If you have a copy of the Children's Writiers and Illustrators Market, that might have an indication of who might still be doing that sort of thing. At any rate, please let us know how you make out. All the best ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Thanks again for getting this up and running. I'd still be checking the SCBWI message boards to see if anyone had begun a group like this if you hadn't emailed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaela even in the short itme this has been up it's been extremely rewarding. It was really a pleasure to do! Again glad you were able to finally join us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Giselle: Thanks for sharing a little piece of your life with us. I am each day becoming more grateful that you took this upon yourself to set up this site for all of us. I'm still trying to work out the ins and outs of the blogger set up and it took me three visits to realize how I could make comments. Is it possible to view the piece and make your comments while you can see the work. I find it hard to make comments without seeing a piece-the process of translating feelings into reason and then writing somewhat legible logical sentences may be a bit of a stretch for me - or perhaps it will give me a chance to develop a new skill? Could you let me know if there is a way of doing this? It would enhance the quality of my feedback I'm sure.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat looks like you're doing fine to me! I think I mentioned to you before that this Blog thing is all new to me too and believe me it didn't come easy. I'm not very computer savy either and sometimes I even rely on my teenagers to help out. I'm sure you can imagine what that can be like that's why it's only sometimes! Then again my desire to have a place to give and receive feedback and share ideas on a regular basis is what really motivated me to get this going. Learned a lot in the meantime too. Anyway to get back to your question whether or not you can view a piece while you are writing your post up I think is a "no" in terms of doing it on blogger. Someone else might know but I didn't see anything in the settings sections that would allow me to do that. You can only see the other text comments. I know what you mean though about wanting to look at something while you are actually critiquing it. I find I have to go back and view it a couple of times by the time I'm finish and ready to publish my post. If you really want to view the piece while critiquing you could "right click" your mouse while it is on the actual piece your are going to give feedback on and "copy" it. Then go into a word processiong program like "Microsoft Works" and "paste" it into a new file. Then you could proceed to write up your critique on that same new page. When you are finished you would "copy" just the text that you wrote back into the comment window box of our blog. Hope that made sense.Let me know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Giselle: That method may just work very well for me. I'm going to try it right now. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete